Yoga has been a well-established, age-old practice for many years. It is well known for its benefits in promoting physical and mental well-being. However, did you know that yoga can also help promote hair growth? That's right! Certain yoga poses can help improve blood circulation to the scalp, reduce stress, and provide nourishment to hair follicles, all of which can lead to healthy and lustrous hair. In this article, we will discuss the eight best yoga poses that can help promote hair growth.
Read More: 8 Benefits of Grapefruit for Hair Growth
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Downward facing dog pose is a great way to increase blood flow to the scalp. This pose also helps in relaxing the mind and reducing stress, which can be a leading cause of hair loss. To do this pose, start on your hands and knees, with your hands slightly in front of your shoulders. Taking a breath out, raise your knees off the ground while keeping them slightly bent. Stretch your arms forward and press your palms into the ground. Your body should form an inverted V-shape. Hold this pose for 5-10 breaths and then release.
How to Practice:
Start on your hands and knees, placing your knees and wrists precisely beneath your hips and shoulders, respectively.
Your hands should be firmly pressed onto the carpet with their fingers spread widely. Tuck your toes beneath and contract your abs.
On an exhale, lift your knees away from the mat, keeping them slightly bent at first.
Press your hips up and back towards the ceiling, lengthening your spine and keeping your head and neck relaxed.
Engage your leg muscles and press your heels down towards the mat.
Hold the pose for 5-10 deep breaths, focusing on the sensation of the stretch and the breath.
To come out of the pose, exhale and lower your knees back down to the mat.
By practicing Adho Mukha Svanasana regularly, you can improve blood circulation to your scalp, which can promote healthy hair growth. Additionally, this pose can also help to reduce stress and anxiety, which can be contributing factors to hair loss.
Read More: How to Use a Scalp Brush for Hair?
Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend):
Uttanasana is a great pose for promoting hair growth as it increases blood flow to the scalp. This pose also helps in reducing stress, which can be a leading cause of hair loss. Stand with your feet hip-width apart to do this stance. Exhale, then lean forward from the hips while maintaining your upright posture. Bring your hands to the ground or your shins and relax your head and neck. Hold this pose for 5-10 breaths and then release.
How to Practice:
- Take a tall posture with your arms at your sides and your feet hip-width apart.
- Inhale deeply, and as you exhale, hinge forward at the hips, keeping your spine straight.
- Allow your hands to rest on your shins, ankles, or the floor, depending on your flexibility.
- Relax your head and neck, allowing your head to hang heavy towards the floor.
- Take deep breaths and hold the pose for 5-10 breaths.
- To come out of the pose, inhale and slowly roll up through your spine, coming back to a standing position.
Read More: Moroccan Argan Oil for Hair
Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose):
The shoulder stand pose is a great way to increase blood flow to the scalp and stimulate hair growth. This pose also helps in reducing stress and improving digestion, which can contribute to healthy hair. Put your arms by your sides while lying on your back to do this stance. Inhale and lift your legs and hips up, bringing your feet over your head. Support your back with your hands and hold the pose for 5-10 breaths. Slowly release the pose by lowering your legs and hips to the ground.
How to Practice:
- With your arms at your sides and your palms facing down, lie on your back.
- Inhale and lift your legs up towards the ceiling, keeping them straight.
- Support your lower back with your hands, and slowly lift your hips off the floor, bringing your legs overhead.
- Your toes should be pointed up at all times, and your legs should remain straight.
- Support your back with your hands, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- When inhaling deeply, maintain the posture for 5–10 breaths.
- To come out of the pose, slowly lower your hips back down to the floor, keeping your legs straight.
Read More: How to Properly Wash your Hair?
Sirsasana (Headstand Pose):
The headstand pose is a great pose for promoting hair growth as it increases blood flow to the scalp. This pose also helps in reducing stress and improving digestion, which can contribute to healthy hair. To accomplish this posture, get onto your hands and knees. With your elbows directly under your shoulders, place your forearms on the ground. Clasp your hands together and place the crown of your head on the ground. Slowly lift your legs up into the air, keeping them straight. Release after holding the posture for 5–10 breaths.
How to Practice:
- Kneel on the floor with your forearms on the mat in front of you.
- Clasp your hands together and place them on the mat, forming a triangle with your forearms and hands.
- Lower your head down to the mat, placing the crown of your head on the mat, with the back of your head cradled in your hands.
- Tuck your toes under and lift your hips up, coming into a modified Downward-Facing Dog pose.
- Slowly walk your feet towards your head, keeping your knees bent, until your hips are directly above your shoulders.
- Straighten your legs, lifting your feet up towards the ceiling.
- Balance in the pose for as long as you can, breathing deeply and evenly.
- To come out of the pose, slowly lower your feet back down to the mat, coming into Child's Pose to rest.
Read More: How to Use Leave-In Conditioner?
Balayam Yoga (Rubbing Nails):
Balayam yoga is an easy and effective way to promote hair growth. It involves rubbing the nails of both hands together, which helps to improve blood circulation to the scalp. To do this, sit in a comfortable position and bring your hands in front of you. Rub the nails of each hand against each other vigorously for 5-10 minutes. Do this daily for the best results.
How to Practice:
- Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position, with your spine straight and your hands resting on your knees.
- Bring your hands in front of your chest and clasp your fingers together, keeping your thumbs pointing upwards.
- Rub the nails of your fingers against each other briskly, starting with the nails of your right hand against the nails of your left hand.
- Repeat this rubbing motion for 5-10 minutes, focusing on the sensation in the nail beds.
- Take deep breaths and relax your body while you practice Balayam Yoga.
- You can practice Balayam Yoga daily for the best results.
Read More: How to Straighten Curly Hair with Dryer?
Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose):
Vajrasana, also known as the Thunderbolt Pose, is a seated yoga pose that has numerous benefits for the body and mind. This pose helps to improve blood circulation to the scalp, which in turn promotes hair growth. Vajrasana is also known to reduce stress and improve digestion, both of which are essential for healthy hair growth. Practicing Vajrasana for a few minutes every day can help you achieve healthy and lustrous hair.
How to Practice:
- Begin by sitting on your shins with your knees together and your feet pointing straight back.
- Place your hands on your thighs, and palms down, and straighten your back.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Slowly lower your body down onto your heels and sit on your buttocks.
- Place your hands on your knees and hold the pose for a few minutes.
- Release the pose and come back up to a seated position.
- Repeat the pose for at least 5-10 minutes every day.
Read More: 6 Best Vitamins for Hair Growth
In conclusion, practicing yoga can be a great way to promote hair growth naturally. The yoga poses mentioned above, including Vajrasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana, Uttanasana, and Sarvangasana, can improve blood circulation to the scalp, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote overall physical and mental well-being. Additionally, following a healthy lifestyle, maintaining a balanced diet, and taking good care of your hair can help maximize the benefits of these yoga poses. Incorporating these yoga poses into your daily routine and making them a part of your healthy lifestyle can help you achieve healthy, shiny, and strong hair.
You Might Also Like: